No one likes coming home to a cold home after a long day at work to discover their furnace has stopped working. Here at Distinct Heating & Cooling, we do offer emergency service to help get your furnace working. Prior to calling us, there are several things you can check first to try and identify the cause.
- Make Sure the Furnace Is On – Go to your thermostat and see that it is on. If you have a newer thermostat, try replacing the batteries, as dead batteries could cause the thermostat to not work correctly. If you are not sure how to access the batteries, do not hesitate to call us for help.
- Check the Air Filters –If the air filters are dirty and clogged, they can cause the furnace to not get sufficient air, cause it to overheat, and shut off.
- Verify the Gas Pilot Is Lit – If you have an older furnace model, you may have a pilot light that may need to be re-lit. Follow the manufacture’s guidelines for relighting instructions.
- Check Breaker Switches – Sometimes the breaker switch to your furnace can blow and needs to be reset. Before resetting the breaker, go to the thermostat and change the setting to the “off” position. After resetting the breaker, turn the furnace back on. If the breaker blows again, shut the furnace back off and call us for further help.
- Check for Blocked Vents – If any vents are blocked, including the return air vent(s), it can prevent the furnace from getting sufficient air and cause problems similar to that when air filters are dirty and clogged.
After checking the above items, if your furnace will not turn back on, call our Calgary furnace repair company immediately to schedule emergency repair service. While you wait for our technician to arrive, it is beneficial to limit opening doors and allowing more cold air into the home.
If it is below freezing outside, you should turn on the water faucets in different areas of the home to keep water flowing and help prevent frozen pipes. In addition, it is best to close bedroom and bathroom doors to help reduce further heat loss. If your home has a fireplace, you can use this to generate heat in the room it is located, until we arrive and fix your furnace.
Distinct Heating & Cooling also recommends scheduling our annual furnace maintenance and tune-up service to help identify potential problems and avoid coming home to a non-working furnace. Please feel free to contact us at (403) 477-3810 to schedule service now!